CHATTERBOXIE

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Decision about the Maid

At the Dorcas Retreat, a friend's maid came with our maid to ask me a blunt question: "aunty, how come @#*# cannot eat at the cafe?" Dumbfounded me, shocked, gasped, and said, "We did not register her for the retreat. Bringing her is a last minute decision." Inside me, I was grumbling, "Who are you to ask me such question?"

We have explained to our helper why she needed to eat outside and not join us for all the meals. I am simply amazed by how people could pursue and ask such things. And, truly, I was surprised by the maid's boldness, but disappointed.... I do not wish to philosophize a hypothetical construct on why such happenings. Human rights?? Rights of transient workers??

My ramblings can go on and on and on and on..... I have come to a resolution..... Goodbye.

2 Comments:

  • Hmm... looks like your decision has been made. And you were a little half-hearted when I last had a conversation with you. Seems @#*# just gave you the confirmation you needed that your decision was right.

    But if u allow me to just talk a little - maybe you should have explained to her in the car that her meals had to be settled outside since bringing her was a last minute decision. That might have prevented this "confrontation".

    By Blogger naniecheng, at 10:04 PM  

  • hey sorry just re-read your blog and realised that you did explain to her... yes then it is puzzling why she should view this as a form of discrimination. Because actually I was seriously considering eating out too and saving the money.

    By Blogger naniecheng, at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home