CHATTERBOXIE

Monday, October 24, 2005

Chilli Padi's Big Question

As you all know, my chilli padi has put on weight - she's becoming chubbier....

She popped a question that surprised me.

How would you feel if your six year-old were to say: "I am not good at anything."

The weight gain, the low self esteem statement, the constant asking her not to eat too much.... I didn't work whether all the comments were helpful or harmful.

I have to affirm her that she is good in some many areas, and we love her for who she is, and God loves her for who she is. I commented that she is a good reader and could read well and want to read well. She said, "What I do not know what territory means?" Honestly, I have to wipe my cold sweat. "Territory" to a six year-old? Hmmmmm....

I only knew my ABCs when I was six! I do not know whether there is another perfectionist in the making in my home. So, parenting is always a challenge. I least expect a six year old to tell me that she is not good at anything. It was just too fast. But we will handle it. We will.

1 Comments:

  • Oh dear, why is she saying this? She does have so many qualities and she is so knowledgeable for her age! Did something happen to spark off this?

    I used to have low self-esteem too... i think i'm not good at anything (be it studies, music, friendship, appearance etc) But knowing that I have family and God who loves me just as I am has helped me tremendously to accept myself. I am still acutely aware of my inadequacies but I don't allow it to bother me too much now. No one's perfect anyway. I've realised that my self-worth comes from the love my family gives me unconditionally and not whether I possess good qualities that earn their love.

    Maybe for chilli padi she needs to realise that she is already special without having to be extraordinarily good in anything. But this is tough because in our results-driven society, children are taught subconsciously from young that they are only as good as their bottomline.

    By Blogger naniecheng, at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home